Days 18 & 19 Plagued By Allergic Reaction

Well things were really going great really great, I had gone and done a walking workout of 2 miles at work but then it hit and hit me like a brick.

Normally I’m a very cautious persons especially since I know that there are several women where I work that have lots of cats and so I have reminded them on more than one occasion that I am highly allergic to cats.  Most everyone is tired of hearing me talking about it when they come around me after they have been petting one of the cats that hang around the outside of the building.  So the stage is set, but wait I need to tell you about what happened earlier.

Before the 4th of February I made a second order of GS cookies with one of the ladies at work and pay for it in advance, right after I made another order for one of the other workers and that too was paid for in advance.  I asked about the cookies to verify when they would come in about midway through the month and she double checked everything and told me when they would be in.  Well I suddenly noticed the building was flush with GS cookies so on Day 18 I went to her desk and asked her if she had the cookies I had ordered.  She asked what I ordered and I gave her the order and she said she could get me half of it but not the other half.  What?  I made the order, wrote it down on one of her forms right under an order that was also prepaid and that person already had their order delivered.  Then the lady said she might try to get a package of the cookies but she wasn’t sure.  I told her to forget it and then she said she would pay me back.  I’m not rich but that lady can barely afford the gas to drive to work so I told her to forget about it.  So she comes back to my desk an hour later asking me not to be mad at her.  I wasn’t mad at her and told her that but I was disappointed and once again I learned the lesson…”No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.”  So I’m out of money for the cookies and it would have been good to put them out when my brothers come into town this weekend.

Okay so I’m past that and go work out and turned on the fan to cool off when I returned to my desk.  Well then the same lady who I had placed the GS cookies order with came in to decorate her boss’s office for his birthday.  She brought her daughter and her daughter placed her hand out to shake and then hugged me.  I’m not usually one to hug a kid or shake a hand but I think I was caught slightly unaware and didn’t think much about it until later that night.  I had wiped my face with my hand and brushed my hair aside from my face with my hand, the same hand I used to shake hands and the side of my face that touched the girl’s jacket was first affected about 3 hours later.  I felt my nose feeling clogged and my face started to itch but I didn’t think too much about it at the time.  Bad decision.  So what makes me think that it was my contact with the daughter, I had just greeted her after my workout and I was feeling fine until that time and I really do seriously limit my contact with people who I know have cats.  So I don’t know if the lady has a cat or if she let her daughter pet the cat hanging out around the building.

The next day I noticed my face was swelling up a little bit so I went grocery shopping and my face was throbbing and itching when I got home.  I popped 2 Benadryl and took a nap but still my face was swollen.  So I called in to work because my whole face was now swelling up and it was hard for me to focus on things so I took 2 more Benadryl and tried to sleep but EDQ kept on texting me and waking me up.

So that was Day 18 (Wednesday) and thing just got worse on Day 19 but all of that had to wait because I had to get to the ceremony at the graveyard for my Uncle that died earlier.  I took a wrong turn and forgot that I had to cut through a parking lot to make the turn and so I drove way too far out of the way.  I managed to get there about 1 minute before they  gave him the military 21 gun salute and played taps.  My uncle was in the Navy at the end of WWII.  So being out in the cold actually made my face feel good but when I got in my truck I face really started to throb in pain and then I looked in the mirror and saw that the swelling had gotten worse.

Finally went to the doctor and got a steroid shot.  I think that was the beginning of my downfall and weight gain.  During one year I was having extremely allergy attacks to the point of having double vision, difficulty breathing and extreme swelling of hands and face.  I was getting steroid shots and taking all sorts of antibiotics and because that was happening so frequently I was told to eat heavy greasy meals to keep me from loosing my meals when taking all of my meds.  I ended up gaining 60 pounds in less than one year.  However that will not be the case this time or this year.

So I got the shot by the afternoon of Day 19 and was surprised that it didn’t make me go to sleep right away.  I had lunch and then finally took a nap which was once again interrupted by EDQ texting me but after a couple of hours of sleep I noticed that some of the swelling on the left side of my face but the right side is still swollen but at least the itching and the throbbing pain has decreased since I got the steroid shot.  I still need to go pick up the steroid pack to take but I might wait on that and see if the shot was enough to do what I need.  I have a headache still typical of an allergic reaction but that too will fade I’m sure.

Well in case you haven’t experienced dramatic allergic reaction just take my word that it is not fun.  So for two days I haven’t weighed myself and I haven’t exercised so I’m beginning to thing I will not make my goal of being less than 200 pounds.  Even though the exercising isn’t extreme it is enough to allow me to move and a moving body is better than a stationary one.

Without further adieu, let me list what I’ve eating over the last two days.

Day 18

BREAKFAST: skipped

LUNCH:  bacon cheeseburger and Fritos – 28 gm

SNACK:  1/2 cup of Blue Bell Ice Cream – 24 gm

DINNER:  slices of Chicken Cordon Bleu, hash browns – 26 gm

LATE NIGHT SNACK:  Spanish coffee – 8 gm


Day 19

BREAKFAST:  2 eggs, hash browns, coffee – 20 gm

LUNCH:  cheeseburger with avocado – 23 gm

SNACK:  1/2 cup Blue Bell Ice Cream – 24 gm

DINNER:  chicken breast strips in alfredo sauce, green beans with mushrooms – 12 gm


I’ve managed to stay under 100 grams of carbohydrates for up to 19 days so far even as my body is craving for something else while feeling miserable.

Well hopefully things will go better for me tomorrow which will occur in 2 minutes.  I’ve got to get to bed because I have to get up early so I can get my color touched up on my hair.

So at least I’m sticking to 21 days.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s