Week 1 of Primal 3-1-2-1

Okay so it has been just past a week since I started the Primal 3-1-2-1 and it wasn’t exactly easy or as easy as I had expected.  Yes I know that technically I could go past the 50 grams of carbs that I set out to consume on the 3 days and the 2 days, but it was really kind of difficult.  Probably because I had not planned very well but thankfully I made it and only on one day did I make it to 50.25 grams of carbs on my ‘clean eating’ days.

I should also tell you that on the last day where I said that I would eat 100 grams of carbs, well that went to hell in a hand basket.  That last day was Easter Sunday and I knew that I wanted to do something special so I did, I prepared the dough so I could make cronuts.

Many of you probably know what cronuts are and just in case you don’t, then cronuts are croissants that are like doughnuts and fried.  So yes I had to work the butter into the dough and fold it over many times and yes they were very big.  I did everything it asked such as making the vanilla cream to inject into the cronut and even rolled them in cinnamon sugar but after going into major sugar shock I brushed off the cinnamon sugar and just enjoyed the cronut with of course a light glaze on it.

Needless to say it was probably very high in calories/carbohydrates along with all of the cream that was added so I didn’t even bother to count my carbs on that day.  But I did weigh myself before I broke the plan and I’ll post those results below.

As for exercise….you know the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.  Well all of my plans for exercise definitely went awry for most of the week.  I’ll talk about that a little later in this blog but just know that I was dramatically lacking in exercising.

The first few days were a little rough because of my lack of planning but by the third day I got the hang of it and was back on track so when I had my free day of taking in 100 grams of carbs, I did splurge a little and had some Intense White Chocolate ice cream.  On my first 100 gram day I had a tablespoon of the above ice cream and decided it was worth the wait for my next free day so I could have a scoop.

Wow, I really am off in left field.  Back on track now.  So I followed and stayed true to my diet parameters except for Easter Sunday.  The only really, really bad thing that I had were the cronut holes and the cronut.  But because there were quite a few left over, I did not stop eating the cronut on Sunday but instead had one for breakfast on Monday morning.  I tried to do some damage control the rest of the day by going really easy on the carbs but blew it at the end of the day when I had a second cronut and then had 2 scoops of ice cream.  Let’s just say that I cheated a whole lot but I didn’t feel guilty, I just decided that I would be paying the price later and that would give me more incentive for working harder.

Now let me get to the exercise part of this blog.  I had the greatest plans to go out and ride my trike and try out my new mtb bike shoes which look like regular tennis shoes.  I had been using my road bike shoes but after 2 1/2 hours of riding I was kind of wobbly on my feet with I got up to use the facilities and several times I almost fell on my butt.  The problem with road shoes is that there is no bend at all in them and so you walk on your heels most of the time because the bike cleats are on your toes and what makes matters worse is that you walk on tile floors which are super slick, thus why I almost fell on my butt several times.

So I went out and bought me some new mtb and cleats but I didn’t get to use them until late Saturday afternoon.  Why so late and why didn’t I do my Saturday morning ride with my group, well they called it off.  That was a good thing because I couldn’t have gone anyway because my truck started acting up.  I was having problems with the ignition switch working and then it gave me the most problems on Friday going to work.  On Friday night after work it took me almost 10 minutes of fiddling around with the steering wheel, ignition switch and gear shifter before it finally turned over.  I thought I knew what was wrong and was going to stop at a store before going home but I changed my mind and it was a good thing too.  Once home I turned off the ignition and that was the last time it turned over.  I tried throughout the weekend but it was dead.

I called my younger brother and he came over on Saturday and helped me push the truck out of the driveway and into the street where a tow truck could pick it up on Monday.  He came over after mowing his yard and when he came by I had just finished mowing the front yard.  He took me to the store where I got some more sparkling water so I would drink more water and then left, glad I had a nice younger brother.   I cleaned up and started making the dough for the cronuts after that fun.

The next day I mowed the backyard and then couldn’t ignore the weather and took off to ride my trike.  I rode for just barely over 9 miles in about 50 minutes, not the best but not the worse time for me.  The point is mainly that I got outside and mowed the lawn for exercise as well as rode my trike which was nice.  It made me feel good to be out and about on my trike and despite some of those hills that I had to climb, it was most definitely worth it to take the ride.

So I already mentioned that I had a cronut for breakfast and for late night snack on Monday but I figured I might as well because I wouldn’t get it out of my system if the cronuts were just hanging around waiting to be eaten.  Then to make matters even worse last night, I had a craving for ice cream so I dipped into the Intense White Chocolate ice cream on Sunday and again on Monday night only on Monday night I used a caramel topping on the ice cream and it was yummy.

The one thing I’ve noticed is that I can be feeling full all evening until I get home.  Once I get home it is as if I hadn’t eaten for the whole day and I’m craving food.  I’ve had some of the worse hunger cravings when I get home after 2300 hours even when I wasn’t hungry thirty minutes earlier.  I think it must be psychological because I really don’t understand why I get so hungry especially late at night.

Oh yeah, about my truck.  Well the ignition switch went out and I barely made it home across town and parked my truck.  I took it into the shop who called at 1100 hours saying it was the ignition switch and he would call me in an hour with the price.  The labor was more expensive to work on the vehicle than the cost of new ignition switch.  So to get exercise on Monday, I rode my trike to the garage to pick up my truck then rushed home to get ready for work.  Now doesn’t that sound like fun? !!!

Okay so now is the time that you’ve all been waiting for, did this Primal 3-1-2-1 even work?  Tell me what you think.

Starting Weight:    219.6

Week 1 Weight:      216.0


So my hope is for me to get in more exercise during the week but that of course will remain to be seen.  But today I’m back on my low carb diet but I may waive things on Wednesday, one of the guys from work is bringing lasagna and oh boy it is wonderful so guess I better figure out what I need to do to allow myself to have some of that lasagna.


Starting Weight Week 2:     216.7


So in week 1 I lost 3.6 pounds.  Not too bad considering each night I had something to eat every single night when I came home last week.  weird.  So now I’m outta here because I can barely keep my eyes open.

Here’s hoping my weight will go down at least a little bit.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s